How to Rock your Destination Wedding Planning!
How to Rock your Destination Wedding Planning!
Planning a destination wedding is different every time. Every wedding is unique in its own way but there is a step by step process to take you to the wedding of your dreams. Let us take some of the weight off your shoulders with our destination wedding planning checklist.
1 – Congratulations, you’re engaged!
- Announce your engagement – whoop whoop!
- Set up your wedding budget.
- Research Venues what’s going to suit you best
- Do you want to get married in a church?
- Are you looking for a luxury resort?
- Do you want a laid back Tulum wedding?
- Looking for something NON-Traditional. Consider a Mayan or a Cosmic ceremony with circular seating.
- We are happy to recommend venues – just ask! We have a long list and even have special offerings.
- What month of the year do you want get married? You can plan a destination wedding any month in the Mexican Caribbean. See our seasonal guide to see which month is best for you along with tons of planning TIPS.
- Research your weddings professionals: choose a wedding coordinator, wedding designer and choose your del Sol wedding photographer.
- Read this list and build your wedding calendar!
2 – Make Choices
- Determine your guest list. Destination weddings are amazing but often not everyone can make it. Write your dream guest list and work out the family and friends most important to your wedding day.
- Book a wedding venue, del Sol Photography, and florist. If you have the chance to do a site visit and tasting before your wedding day – great! You can also use this opportunity to have a engagement photo shoot with your wedding photographer!
- Send your “Save The Date” – you can use your engagement session pictures ;)
- Schedule your rehearsal with your venue.
- What is the best time to get married in Playa del Carmen? What time of day will your ceremony be? Usually 1.5 hours before sunset is perfect, check our seasonal guide for sunset times and more information about the best time of day for your wedding. Your Ceremony time will determine the flow of the whole day.
3 – Shopping Time!
- Visit your favorite wedding gown stores with your bridesmaids.
- Select and order your wedding dress! For ideas, check our Bride’s style Pinterest board and Groom’s style
- Discuss the Maid of Honor and bridesmaids duties.
- Looking for something very Mexican and nontraditional, check out Claudia Bo Designs
4 – Decors and more
- Do you want to have a wedding theme – Discuss ideas with your fiancé and wedding planner.
- Are you going for a glamorous event or a laid back barefeet do – make sure your guests know the dress code!
- You can use a signature color to tie the day together. Accessories for the bridal party from socks to parasols are fun and Mexican touches like papel picado, pinatas and personalized maracas are also favorites.
- Love candles? Check out the amazing installations from the Candle Boutique
- Check what you can bring from home and what your wedding coordinator and venue can provide you with. Don’t forget to ask your maids and your family to help DIY it up!
- Think about a wedding website to help your guests and share your wedding story!
- Research airline and shuttles for you and your Bridal Party (some hotels offer complimentary transportation to our brides and grooms)
- Check on your guest list who has booked flights and accommodation already.
5 – Style it out
- Go to your first gown fitting with your Maid of Honor
- Order bridesmaids dresses and accessories
- Research Wedding Ring Styles and order!
- Prepare a wedding and reception playlist – make sure you have an online backup!
- Check out our collection of Huffington Post top lists for wedding inspiration!
6 – Whoop – you’re halfway there!
- Review and finalize wedding details with your hotel / venue planner
- Schedule bridesmaids dress fitting
- Discuss groomsman, flower girl and ring bearer attire – remember cute kids make a wedding day magical:)
- Del Sol Photography has a full time certified wedding coordinator on schedule for consulting details and logistics for your wedding day.
7 – Ready to
- Review and approve wedding invitations
- Discuss your honeymoon and set up a budget
- Think about a post wedding adventure. Here is a helpful planning post on “How to rock your TTD“. Have a look at all of our recent Trash the Dress sessions in the cenotes and on the beach as well as the more NSFW Adam and Eve shoots. We can also organize once in a lifetime, custom Photo Adventure tour as part of your honeymoon!
8 – Tasting – If Possible
- If you have a chance to take a pre-wedding holiday at your wedding venue it’s a great time to meet vendors and taste your wedding day treats
- Arrange a visit to your venue to taste the cake and menus
- Make Rehearsal Dinner reservations and select the menu if necessary
- Confirm all outside vendors, such as photographers, videographers, florists, decorators, DJ, etc, have their passes!
- Research for the best place to create your gift table and remember to send the code along with your Del Sol Gift Registry Card
9 – Help the Groom!
- Groom and groomsman fittings
- Choose or write wedding vows (you can do this on your wedding day if you have the nerve!)
- Save your wedding vows on your favorite gadget and send via e mail a copy to Maid of Honer and Best Man
- Make honeymoon reservations
10 – Bachelors
- Discuss and plan bachelorette party plans with your Bridal Party and be sure the guys are doing the same.
- Book a stylist and makeup artist for your wedding day – ask us for recommendations!
- Create hotel information card and maps to include with your invitations.
11 – Almost there!
- Mail wedding invitations.
- Go to your final gown fitting and arrange for pick up
- Secure wedding day dressing rooms for you and your bridesmaids and your groom and his groomsman – some resorts can offer you a bridal suite for your getting ready.
- Final groom’s and groomsman fittings.
- Purchase wedding favors and bridal party gifts.
12 – Details
- Send rehearsal dinner invitations.
- Write thank you notes as you receive wedding gifts alerts.
- Confirm music selection.
- Purchase gift for your fiancé!!
13 – Make Sure everything is going as Planned!
- Confirm floral order and decor.
- Discuss wedding details with your officiant, probably through your wedding Planner.
- Determine seating arrangements.
- Be sure to fill out all forms from del Sol Photography and finalize honeymoon and transportation details
- Schedule pick up and return of groom’s wear if appropriate.
- Schedule manicure and pedicure for bride and massage and/or sauna for groom, for the day before your wedding.
- Post an announcement to confirm your final guest list.
14 – Final Headcount
- Finalize list of reception guests.
- Finalize list of rehearsal dinner guests.
- Call those who haven’t confirm their flight and/or accommodation bookings.
- Review final headcount and menu details with your wedding planner.
15 – Get Ready for Traveling
- Pick up your Wedding Dress and Groom’s wear!!
- Don’t forget to pack your sunblock! We recommend SPF10000 before your wedding day to avoid any awkward tan lines or even worse, super sunburn!
- Make sure your passport and ID are not expired.
16 Arriving to your Destination
- The day before your flight confirm your shuttles from and to the airport.
- Check into your hotel and meet with your planner, give a last review to all the details.
- Send your getting ready rooms to del Sol Photography
- REST!! sleep, enjoy the view, drink a margarita…
- Enjoy the beach but don’t forget WEAR SUNBLOCK!
- Check the weather…. but don’t freak out if it looks cloudy, we think rain on your wedding day is awesome! When was the last time you saw a rainbow… Rain can make for epic pictures and colorful sunsets.
17 The Rehearsal
- If you are getting married in a church or chapel it’s really important that everybody knows when their entrance is and how they will participate in the ceremony. Your officiant or planner must provide this details and do an actual rehearsal with all of you.
- If you are having a beach or cenote ceremony it’s not absolutely necessary that you go to the location for a rehearsal, BUT we strongly recommend that you have a run through to avoid wedding day chaos!
- Enjoy the meals you’ve arrange and try to not party to hard!!! It is tempting but try, specially if your wedding is the very next day.
18 Your Wedding Day!!
- No matter what EAT YOUR BREAKFAST and a little something right before the ceremony, there is no harm in ONE drink/shot ;)
- Be on time to your hair and make up appointments
- Be sure your girls are getting ready on time
- Remember: Life is UNPREDICTABLE but whatever happen you love each other, the whole propose of doing this is to celebrate that!!!
19 Post Wedding
- If you are doing a Trash The Dress have a good sleep the day before and have a good breakfast before we pick you up.
- Be sure to say good bye to all of your guests as they start going back home
- Give to the Maid of Honor your wedding certificate so you don’t have to carry it (and probably lose it) during your honeymoon.
- Be sure you have everything to enjoy your honeymoon!!
20 Once Back Home…
- Take your wedding dress and veil to a dry cleaners who specializes in gown preservation
- Return groom’s and groomsman outfits if necessary.
- Pick up your wedding certificate and place it with other important documents in a plastic folder to preserve it.
- Write and send the Thank You notes that are missing.
- Submit name-change forms if you’ve decided to change your name.
- Make sure all your vendors receive their last payments.
- Review again del Sol Photography delivery policies and be ready to receive your photos and video!!